Intermec is a manufacturer
and supplier of automated data capture and identification equipment, including bar code scanners, bar code printers, mobile computers, RFID systems, voice recognition systems and life cycle services. Intermec owns patents on RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) and customers include 75 percent of the Fortune 500 companies and 60 percent of the Fortune 100 companies. Intermec was traded on the New York Stock Exchange. On December 10, 2012, Intermec announced that it agreed to be acquired by Honeywell International Inc. in a cash transaction of approximately $ 600 million. The merger was approved by the shareholders of Intermec on March 19, 2013 and received regulatory approval from the European Commission on June 14, 2013. The FTC authorization was announced on September 13, 2013. On September 17, 2013, Honeywell announced the completion of the acquisition of Intermec. Intermec will integrate with Honeywell Scanning & Mobility, within the control and automation solutions (ACS) business of Honeywell.
Most of Inter-mec's business comes from the automation of supply chain operations in the manufacturing, storage and distribution, retail, transportation and logistics, direct store delivery and field services sectors. Its product lines include:
- Readers, printers, labels and RFID tags (radio frequency identification)
- Barcode scanners, barcode printers and media
- Mobile computers
- wireless networks
- Software tools and utilities
- Speech recognition hardware and software systems.
- Life Cycle Services
- 1966 - Interface mechanisms formed.
- 1982 - The company changes its name to Inter-mec Corporation
- 1991 - Acquired by Litton Industries, Inc. (NYSE: LIT)
- 1994 - Property transferred to Western Atlas Inc. (NYSE: WAI), a derivation of Litton
- 1997 - Property transferred to UNOVA, Inc. (NYSE: UNA), a spinoff of Western Atlas
- 1997 - Acquired Norand and UBI (United Barcode Industries)
- 1997 - Semiconductor technology acquired from radio frequency identification (RFID) from IBM, Inc.
- 1998 - Acquired the high frequency RFID business from Amtech Corporation, Amtech Transportation Systems
- 2006 - UNOVA, Inc. becomes Intemec, Inc., maintaining Intemec Technologies as a subsidiary
- 2011 - Acquired the private voice technology company Vocollect Inc. and the lifecycle service company Enterprise Mobile
- 2013 - Acquired by Honeywell, now part of Honeywell Scanning and Mobility